Pilatypus’ trip to Tasmania

November 3, 2010

Much to my regret we did encounter on our flight from Malta to Cairo a
problem with our Yaw Damper. Not a very serious problem in itself, if it
were for only a short trip. However for a trip of more than 100 flying
hours it is a serious problem.

We deviated today to Heraklion on Crete which was the closest airport on the North side of the Mediterranean Sea i.e. only 3-4 hours away from the Pilatus Aircraft factory.

After a first consultation, in the air by the Iridium phone already, and
after a second round of discussions, Pilatus Aircraft recommended us to
return to the factory. This is our best option for a quick repair.

At this moment however I cannot make any prediction as to the continuation
of our flight and I would therefore suggest that we cancel any and all
arrangements or appointments until we know more.

If anyone of you has booked or reserved hotel rooms for us, please cancel
them as well.

The only thing which is sure at this stage, is that we will be delayed
-even if the flight will be continued resp. our trip will be recommenced-
by at least 4 but possibly upto 7 days.

We still got hope it will be only a delay and not a cancellation.

Please read my webpage www.winsome.nl under news for further information
in the coming days.

I do apologize already now.

Best regards

Post by Harry Heijst | November 3, 2010 |


  1. I wish you a good luck with maintanence. Keep posted and put some nice photos during a way.

    by Ivo L | 03 Nov 2010 | 19:48
  2. That’s bad news. I hope you only need the 4 days for maintenance and you’ll be able to restart your trip soon
    Good luck and waiting for better news

    by pilatypustracker | 04 Nov 2010 | 03:07
  3. Hang in there! Hoop dat alles goed komt.

    by Ottoheijst | 04 Nov 2010 | 18:32